The National Certificate N4-N6 in Hospitality and Catering Services is accredited by the Department of Higher Education and Training.
This course is designed to focus on 3 disciplines in the hospitality field i.e. Professional Cookery, Accommodation & House Keeping and Food & Beverage Management. The College Hospitality Department prides itself in offering Hospitality students the opportunity to refine, re-design and perfect their cooking and have management skills in this dynamic, growing industry.
The qualification places equal emphasis on the academic, practical and integrated learning experience of the student.
The qualification is aimed at individuals who are passionate about serving people and who has what it takes for this demanding industry.
What will I be qualified as once I’ve completed this course?
You will be job-ready and able to take up a position in the following sectors of the hospitality industry:
- Hotel, Restaurant and Guesthouse Management
- Food and Beverage Service
- Function Catering
- Test Kitchens
- Tasting Room Facilitators
- Commis Chef/Chef de Partie
- Conference and Banqueting
What could I do to further improve my skills and my chances of furthering my career?
Upon successful completion of this course, students can further enhance their skills by completing skills courses that would enable them to specialise in the various sectors of the industry. Once you have completed an 18-month period of work in the industry, the National N-Diploma in Hospitality and Catering is awarded by the Department of Higher Education and Training.
What will l be studying during this course?
N4 CERTIFICATE (6 Months)
- Catering Theory and Practical N4
- Applied Management N4
- Nutrition and Menu Planning N4
- Sanitation and Safety N4
N5 CERTIFICATE (6 months)
- Catering Theory and Practical N5 OR Nutrition and Menu Planning N5
- Applied Management N5
- Food and Beverage Service N5
- Entrepreneurship and Business Management N4
N6 CERTIFICATE (6 months)
- Catering Theory and Practical N6 OR Nutrition and Menu Planning N6
- Applied Management N6
- Communication and Human Relations N6
- Food and Beverage Service N6
- First Aid
- Food and Wine Pairing
What do I need to have completed before I can apply to study this course?
- Grade 12
- The ability to communicate effectively in English
- Prospective students will be required to undergo a placement assessment to assess suitability prior to acceptance
- 18 months full-time, each level (N4 – N6) takes 6 months
- 18 months industry experience required to apply for N-Diploma
Enrolment in January and July